Saturday, April 9, 2011

Feeling Like A Foreigner


Most of the time I’m able to get around in Stockholm with no problems, but sometimes things go terribly wrong. I’ve dubbed these moments ‘feeling like a foreigner’ and I’ve decided to share some of them with you here.

  1. I noticed there was a nice building near our house with a sign that said ‘Gymnasium’. The weather was still cold and snowy so I was excited to go to the gym for a nice workout. I got all dressed up in my workout clothes and headed over to the building. When I got there it became immediately apparent that this was not the sort of gym one works out at. There was nowhere to check in and there were teens running around everywhere. Gymnasium translates to High School. I will not be working out at the local high school. We have since moved and there is a gym for exercising right near our house that Dale and I have joined so all is well.
  2. I’ve had a couple horrible mishaps at the grocery store. The first time I tried to buy butter I actually got whey and I don’t know how little miss muffet does it, that stuff has a weird texture and is sweet! I also tried to buy breakfast sausage and came home with liverwurst, another bust. I have since figured out what butter is. Breakfast sausage on the other hand does not seem to exist here. In fact, I’m coming to realize breakfast is a bit of an American thing. Everywhere we’ve travelled so far this year has a glass of coffee or juice and a fruit or biscuit or something small f or breakfast. One of the first things we’ll be doing when we get back to the States? A big breakfast buffet! Followed by eating Mexican of course!
Hope you got a good laugh out of those!
Love Always,
Matilda

2 comments:

Marie said...

I recognise that so well. I think my first of many "feeling like a foreigner" moments came when everyone asked me what I was going to do for my semester. In my country, "semester" is an academic term at school. I was puzzled as I wasn't going to school here. How confusing to find that it meant vacation in Sweden.

Then there was the time I thought the department store PUB was an enormous bar...

Matilda said...

Marie, I made the PUB mistake as well. A bit of a dissapointment eh? Thanks for reading my blog and sharing your exeriences too! Hope you'll keep following along!

Post a Comment